
Corn Chowder
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 tbsp butter
3 cups potatoes, pealed and diced
2 cups water
1 can cream style corn
1 1/2 cups half and half
Salt and pepper to taste
Place potatoes in pot and add water, bring to boil, and then turn down to medium heat. Meanwhile, sauté onion and green pepper with butter in skillet. When finished, add to potatoes and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minuets.
Once potatoes are tender, add creamed corn and half and half. Simmer until warm. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To thicken your corn chowder:
I didn’t thicken mine when I originally made it, but next time I make it I’m going to because I like it thicker than this turned out. Here are a few thickening options:
Option 1:
Melt 2 tbsp butter in saucepan. Remove from heat and add 2 tbsp flour. Stir until it becomes smooth. Slowly stir this into the soup. Allow to thicken a bit. If you still want it thicker, repeat the process.
Option 2:
After sautéing the onion and green pepper, stir in 2 tbsp flour and cook about 1 minute, and then add to potatoes as directed above. If this isn’t as thick as you’d like, follow option 1 until it’s reached the thickness you prefer.
some of the things I want to try within the next week (and hopefully post about!) include home made granola bars and apple & raisin crisp. we shall see!
xoxo!
candice
