one of my projects for today was making buckeyes. buckeyes have sort of become a "tradition" for us this fall. they go along great with our college football team (the Ohio State 'Buckeyes'). everyone LOVES when I make them, so I've made them often. :) and now I am sharing the recipe here. if you like chocolate and peanut butter (who doesn't?!), then give them a try!! I can only eat one or two (max!!) at a time, as is the case for just about everyone I know, so these last a while. they're great for get-togethers or parties.

Buckeyes
4 cups peanut butter
4 cups confectioners sugar (you may want to use more, depending how gooey or stiff you want them)
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
blend together the peanut butter, confectioners sugar, and melted butter. cover and place in fridge to chill for about 20 minuets.
remove dough from fridge and roll into balls (about 1 inch). chill in freezer 20-30 minuets.
in double boiler, over medium heat, melt the chocolate chips and shortening until smooth. reduce heat (I usually turn it all the way down).
remove half of the peanut butter balls from freezer and using a toothpick, roll in melted chocolate. place on wax paper until cool (I usually stick them in the freezer for a few to make sure they're good and set before I remove them from the wax paper), then store in refrigerator. repeat this with the remaining half of the peanut butter balls. make sure you stir your chocolate every once in a while while you're doing this.
store finished buckeyes in the fridge until ready to eat. then, enjoy! :)
xoxo!
candice
