Thursday, April 17, 2008

beautifully spring!

today is one of those perfect spring days. the weather is just right, it's sunny and the air is lovely. these days always, always make me want to create!! :) altho this recipe that I'm about to post is not from today, and reminds me more of autumn, it's still yummy. :) Ashley and I made it on Sunday for our big Sunday dinner (which included company). a great way to start the week!



Caramel Apple Cake with Carmel Topping
from The Lady & Sons, Savannah Country Cookbook
(I LOVE this book!)

2 1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 c oil
3 c flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 c chopped walnuts
2 1/2 c diced apples, canned or fresh

preheat oven to 350 degrees. cream together sugar, eggs, and oil.
add flour; mix together until well blended. add vanilla, nuts, and diced apples. spread into lightly greased and floured 13x9 inch baking dish; bake for 45-60 minutes. cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. when cake is done, punch holes in it with a knife and pour topping over.

Caramel Topping
3/4 pound butter (3 sticks)
2 c brown sugar
1/4 c milk

heat all ingredients together over medium heat. bring to boil, stirring constantly. let boil for about 2 minuets. pour over warm cake.




today I made zucchini muffins -- they're baking now so we'll see how they turn out. it's my first time making them, but the recipe is from the same book as the cake above, so I'm sure they will be delightful.

and now I'm off to be a bit crafty. :) hope you're all enjoying your spring! (or, autumn for our readers from down-under. ;))

xo!
Candice

*edit*
the zucchini muffins are DELISH! but they don't look all that pretty. note to self for next time: use liners and don't fill the cup so full! :)